Sunday, October 23, 2011

A BIG CHALLENGE FOR RETIREE


FOR Awang Yusoff, 74, a part-time teacher at the Kelas Al-Quran dan Fardhu ‘Ain (KAFA) school in Bachok, Kelantan, it was a chance encounter that led him back to being a student.

“I had no idea that Open University Malaysia (OUM) conducted programmes for people like me and it was only last year that I heard from Prof Datuk Dr Nik Najib Nik Abdul Rahman, the director of OUM’s Kelantan centre about the concept of flexible entry.”

Awang said that he was simply overjoyed to learn that he could pursue his tertiary education through the system and decided to enrol for a bachelor’s degree in Islamic Studies. The tireless retiree keeps himself busy, teaching Fardhu ‘Ain (basic and obligatory Islamic knowledge) three times a week to a group of primary school pupils.

He is also currently in his fourth semester pursuing the programme at OUM’s Kelantan Learning Centre.
No mountain too high: Pursuing tertiary education has always been Awang’s dream.

“I do not have the required academic qualification but I have many years of experience teaching Islamic studies.

“Pursuing tertiary education has always been my dream, so I quickly jumped at the opportunity,” says the father of three who also has three grandchildren.

“My son and two daughters agreed with my decision to get back to learning,” he says, “so I took the challenge.”

He says he is different from many of his peers as he sees himself as being a “little more ambitious”.

“I am aware of the difficulties ahead but I still want a paper qualification. I am determined to go the extra mile!”

Learning at the varsity has been a great challenge for him from the beginning.

Reading is a major obstacle as Awang has poor eyesight.

Even recalling information is difficult and he is working hard to overcome these hurdles.

“Knowledge, especially in Islamic Studies, should be acquired from the cradle to the grave,” says Awang.

With this belief firmly entrenched in his mind, he spends hours learning the subject.

“There are 40 modules altogether which encompass all aspects of Islam. I find the subjects to be very relevant to what I am teaching my students. So I make it a point to impart whatever knowledge I have to them.”

When it comes to online learning, he chuckles for a while before saying that he requires his children’s help when using the computer.

“I have access to the Internet and e-mail at home. However, I sometimes seek my children’s help when I am on the Internet as I am not as skilled as most young people.

Prof Nik Najib says: “Awang is one of the most hardworking learners at the centre. He is motivated and is determined to succeed ... getting his degree is what he is aiming for.”

“The staff at the learning centre are very supportive and are always there to lend me a hand when I need additional learning materials.

I hope to complete my studies soon and be a source of inspiration to my children and students always,” adds Awang. — By NAZRAI AHMAD ZABIDI

The Star - Sunday October 23, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...